I'm fairly new to django and python and guess this is a basic question, but if anyone is able to tell me what I'm doing wrong and/or how to correctly struture a non-interactive django createsuperuser command (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/ref/django-admin/#createsuperuser), I'd be really grateful. I would like to use this to create a superuser on a google cloud-run app I have running, and am trying to get this to work locally (on a seperate app created for testing purposes), but can't seem to. I've found surprisingly little about from quite a bit of googling and browsing Stackoverflow (probably because it's too obvious).
I have a basic django app that is working locally on Ubuntu with a CustomUser model in place. I'm able to create a superuser interactively without a problem. I have DJANGO_SUPERUSER_PASSWORD/EMAIL/USERNAME defined in my settings.py as detailed below (I know I will need to remove actual values in the future but just want to get it to work first).
# Application definition
INSTALLED_APPS = [
'django.contrib.admin',
'django.contrib.auth',
'django.contrib.contenttypes',
'django.contrib.sessions',
'django.contrib.messages',
'django.contrib.staticfiles',
# Local
'accounts',
]
AUTH_USER_MODEL = 'accounts.CustomUser'
DJANGO_SUPERUSER_PASSWORD = 'xxx'
DJANGO_SUPERUSER_EMAIL = 'xxx@email.com'
DJANGO_SUPERUSER_USERNAME = 'xxx'
MIDDLEWARE = [
'django.middleware.security.SecurityMiddleware',
'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
'django.middleware.csrf.CsrfViewMiddleware',
'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
'django.contrib.messages.middleware.MessageMiddleware',
'django.middleware.clickjacking.XFrameOptionsMiddleware',
]
ROOT_URLCONF = 'config.urls'
TEMPLATES = [
{
'BACKEND': 'django.template.backends.django.DjangoTemplates',
'DIRS': [],
'APP_DIRS': True,
'OPTIONS': {
'context_processors': [
'django.template.context_processors.debug',
'django.template.context_processors.request',
'django.contrib.auth.context_processors.auth',
'django.contrib.messages.context_processors.messages',
],
},
},
]
WSGI_APPLICATION = 'config.wsgi.application'
# Database
# https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/ref/settings/#databases
DATABASES = {
'default': {
'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.sqlite3',
'NAME': BASE_DIR / 'db.sqlite3',
}
}
# Password validation
# https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/ref/settings/#auth-password-validators
My CustomUser model is as below (but allows interactive creation of a superuser):
from django.contrib.auth.models import AbstractUser
from django.db import models
class CustomUser(AbstractUser):
pass
I have tried various permutations of createsuperuser which don't work. The more sensible ones below (I think):
./manage.py createsuperuser --noinput --username DJANGO_SUPERUSER_USERNAME --email DJANGO_SUPERUSER_EMAIL --password DJANGO_SUPERUSER_PASSWORD
./manage.py createsuperuser --noinput --username USERNAME --email EMAIL --password PASSWORD
./manage.py createsuperuser --noinput --username DJANGO_SUPERUSER_USERNAME --email DJANGO_SUPERUSER_EMAIL
./manage.py createsuperuser --noinput --username USERNAME --email EMAIL
./manage.py createsuperuser --noinput, username=DJANGO_SUPERUSER_USERNAME, email=DJANGO_SUPERUSER_USERNAME, password=DJANGO_SUPERUSER_PASSWORD
Any help/guidance/direction would be gratefully received!
Many thanks