I have a class Actor whose instances send/receive network messages. (E.g. each instance of that class is part of a different process running on a different physical machine.) The network messages are serialized instances of classes MessageA and MessageB whose attributes are sent over the wire. An incoming message is handled by a callback method method of my Actor class. An ougoing message is triggered by calling a method of my Actor class.
Hence, I started to model this situation in a class diagram like this:

- The network messages are "signals" in EA term, i.e. classes with a special prototype (for succinctness the attributes are left out)
- My
Actor-class is an usual class in EA with four corresponding methods
Now, I want to model a typical interaction and started to draw the following sequence diagram:

The messages are no methods invocations, but are asynchronous and have kind "signal" which allows me to assign them the correct message type.
However, I wonder how I model
the fact that a message with payload
MessageAis handled byonMessageAReceivedthat method
sendMessageAemits a message with payloadMessageA(Note: In terms of my implementation it is correct, that
sendMessageAreturns void, because sending a network message is asynchronous, offloaded to the underlying OS and the method returns to its callee after having send the message.)
in the sequence diagram.
Maybe, my whole approach is completely wrong and I am trying to model something which cannot be modeled like that. In that case some pointers to the correct approach are highly welcome.