I am working with Android Studio 4.1.2 on macOS to update an existing, Java based Android app. I have now added Kotlin support to the project for the first time. While the Kotline code can be used without any problem, breakpoints within the code do not work:
// Kotlin file Utils.kt
package com.example.myApp
fun doSomething(a: Int, b: Int): Int {
Log.d("Debug", "I did something...")
val sum = a + b
return sum
}
// Some JAVA file
...
int result = UtilsKt.doSomething(1, 2);
Using breakpoints anywhere in the JAVA code works fine. But when Setting a breakpoint to the val sum = a + b line (or anywhere else in the Kotlin code) a disabled gray circle is shown instead of the usual red dot and hovering with the mouse over it shows the hint
No executable code found at line 42 in class com.example.myApp.UtilKt
Log output shows, that the code actually did run. Also, setting a breakpoint at the Java code that calls the Kotlin code works fine, and stepping into the Kotlin code from there is no problem either.
Cleaning the project, restarting Android Studio, etc. did not help. Any idea how to solve this?

