Issues installing mypy in VS Code

Viewed 8480

I'm trying to install the mypy linter in Visual Studio Code version 1.53 on MacOS. I've never used a linter before, so I'm not sure what to expect, though I know it should be highlighting type errors and the such. I'm trying to get mypy working in the context of a Django app.

I followed these steps and restarted VS Code a few times, but the instructions don't seem to be working. I've also gone through the settings to ensure mypy linting is enabled and even tried changing the Python > Linting: Mypy Path setting to be the full path returned when doing which mypy; this also did not work.

Lastly, I installed this package from the VS Code marketplace: Mypy . I installed it through the marketplace in VS Code and followed the virtual environment instructions in the description.

django-stubs and mypy are both installed and I configured the mypy.ini file as suggested in the PyPI docs above.

I get the following error:

Error running mypy: mypy.ini:2:1: error: Error importing plugin 'mypy_django_plugin.main': No module named 'mypy_django_plugin'

How do I fix this error?

3 Answers

In VS Code, "mypy" is one of the python code analysis tools, we usually install and use it as follows:

  1. Install it. (pip install mypy)

    Check the installation: (pip show mypy)

    enter image description here

  2. Select "mypy": (F1, Python: Select Linter, mypy)

    enter image description here

  3. Run "mypy": (F1, Python: Run Linting)

    enter image description here

Its effect:

enter image description here

Reference: Linting in VS Code.

I had the same issue loading mypy plugin. (Using conda environement). It was resolved when I started vscode from terminal with the right python environment activated

conda activate my-env
cd my/vs-code/project/dir
code .

hope this helps

mypy is running through ~/.mypyls, a virtualenv that needs to have plugins installed in it for mypyls to find them.

To get mypy_django_plugin in there:

cd ~/.mypyls
. bin/activate
pip install django-stubs
Related