This is a basic question but I'd like to have someone with some more networking experience provide a more comprehensive answer.
Let's say I have 3 files on an external server that are 1GB each. And to download them I would do:
$ wget https://server.com/file1.mov
In terms of doing the three items in parallel (in three separate tabs/shells/threads, for example), or in doing then in series, such as:
$ wget https://server.com/file1.mov \
&& wget https://server.com/file2.mov \
&& wget https://server.com/file3.mov \
Under the following circumstances:
- I have a very fast local download connection and the server is much slower (for example, let's say it takes the server 15s to generate each file).
- My local download connection is slow and the server is much faster with upload bandwidth.
- The two are relatively the same.
For the first case, it seems obvious that we'd want to use parallel downloads, if there is going to be what amounts to a fixed overhead cost on the external server, but what about for the other two scenarios, why would one be better than the other?