I wish to create a helper cell using a dynamic array, Is this possible?
Normally I use a formula such as in this example =IF(A4="",C2,A4) which check if column A is blank and if so just copies the above value until a new value appears in column A.
However as shown in the image when I insert New rows the helper cell becomes broken.
For this reason I wanted to use a dynamic array to create the helper cell which should be able to handle rows inserted or removed.
The problem I have is that unlike a normal formula which you can just drag down, a dynamic array is looking at the values as a whole. Using =IF(A4:A40="","-",A4:A40) inserts a hyphen as shown in the image. Essentially I wish to replace the hyphen such that "For each value between A4:A40 check if blank and if true take the value in the above cell". In essence creating a dynamic helper column.

