How to install NVIDIA graphics driver on Azure VM

Viewed 3550

How do I install a graphics driver on a virtual machine? I want to create a VM for gaming purposes and I cannot seem to get a graphics driver installed. I followed these guides:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/n-series-driver-setup https://medium.com/azure-cloud/a-killer-guide-for-cloud-gaming-on-azure-march-2020-1aa56d13fba3

which all works fine until the download/setup of the graphics driver. Once the NVIDIA installation box pops up he says the machine is not suitable. I tried many different sizes of VM (NV6-8 series) to see if it was in system settings but nothing seems to work. Can someone provide help/insights? I just started my programming/Azure VM journey so assume I am a noob.

2 Answers

Under advanced settings during the setup of a VM, you can click on 'select an extension to install' which will give the option to install an NVIDIA driver (among others).

Install Extension VM

You can install NVIDIA GPU drivers on N-series VMs running Windows with NVIDIA GPU Driver Extension or install NVIDIA GPU drivers manually.

In my example, I deployed a window server 2019 datacenter with a size NC6 and Standard SSD Azure VM in the EastUs region.

enter image description here

Then installs NVIDIA GPU drivers with extension in PowerShell.

Set-AzVMExtension -ResourceGroupName "myResourceGroup" -VMName "myVm" -Location "East US"   -Publisher "Microsoft.HpcCompute" -ExtensionName "NvidiaGpuDriverWindows" -ExtensionType "NvidiaGpuDriverWindows" -TypeHandlerVersion 1.3 

Finally, wait for a few moments to finish the extension, verify driver installation in Device Manager. enter image description here

enter image description here

Related