How can I transpile a folder with babel and still include files that are being imported from another folder?

Viewed 374

My backend folder is an express server that will run on a Node.js environment on the Cloud.

Here is my project structure:

backend
  // FOLDERS AND FILES FROM BACKEND
  index.ts
frontend
  some-file.js

I need to transpile my backend folder with babel, but it contain some imports from another folder. In this example: the frontend/some-file.js.

Obs: In my real case, it's a lot of files. Like util functions, common constants files, etc. I also transpile most of the frontend code in order to do SSR.

If I just do babel backend/src, it will only transpile the contents of backend/src and the some-file.js file will be missing.

Is there any way around this? I mean, how can I transpile a folder with babel and stoll include the imports that it makes from outside that folder (except node_modules for obvious reasons).

Maybe @babel/register would help? Link

I could try to use webpack, but I get the feeling that this is not what webpack was designed for. Webpack implements a module system for the browswer, while Node.js has a module system, so it shouldn't need webpack.

How do people usually handle this?

0 Answers
Related