Is there any possible safe way to detect timeouts in a CompletableFuture chain?
O someValue = CompletableFuture.supplyAsync(() -> {
...
// API Call
...
}).thenApply(o -> {
...
}).thenApply(o -> {
// If the chain has timed out, I still have 'o' ready here
// So at least cache it here, so it's available for the next request
// Even though the current request will return with a 'null'
...
}).get(10, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
// cache 'someValue'
return someValue;
It completes successfully without a timeout, I can use 'someValue' and do whatever with it
If it times out, it throws a TimeoutException and I have lost the value, even though it's still being processed in the background
The idea is that even if it times out and since the API call in the thread still completes in the background and returns the response, I can use that value, let's say, for caching