JDK is installed on mac but i'm getting "The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime that supports apt." sudo apt update

Viewed 51046

I'm trying to run the command sudo apt update on my terminal in MacOS

I'm getting this message in response: The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime that supports apt. Please visit http://www.java.com for information on installing Java.

I saw a similar question here, however even though I made sure to install the JDK like the solution suggested I'm still getting the same response.

I also tried pasting

export PATH="$HOME/.jenv/bin:$PATH"
eval "$(jenv init -)"
export JAVA_HOME="$HOME/.jenv/versions/`jenv version-name`"

Into my .zshrc.save folder and had no luck.

When I run java -version in the terminal this is what I get back:

java version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7-27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7-27, mixed mode, sharing)
3 Answers

20 years ago, java shipped with a tool called apt: Annotation Processor Tool. This tool was obsolete not much later.

What that update-node-js-version is talking about, is a completely and totally unrelated tool: It's the Advanced Package Tool, which is a tool to manage installations on debian and ubuntu - linux distros. You do not want to run this on a mac, and the instructions you found are therefore completely useless: That is how to update node-js on linux. Your machine isn't linux.

Search around for answers involving brew, which is the go-to equivalent of apt on mac. And completely forget about java - this has NOTHING to do with java - that was just a pure coincidence.

Install Homebrew on your Mac Machine

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

For the system Java wrappers to find this JDK, symlink it with

sudo ln -sfn /usr/local/opt/openjdk/libexec/openjdk.jdk /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/openjdk.jdk

If you need to have openjdk first in your PATH, run:

echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/openjdk/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.profile

For compilers to find openjdk you may need to set:

 export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/openjdk/include"

The below commands worked for me.

First, install the homebrew

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

Then set the Android Studio Java path to the Home(If you have Android Studio). If not then you take the respective Java path & export it to the JAVA Home path.

export JAVA_HOME=/Applications/Android\ Studio.app/Contents/jre/Contents/Home

Related