I managed to set up my XMonad config from the ground up by myself - but I am having difficulties setting the brightness and media control keys - and I have no experience in programming or Haskell for that matter, and thus I don't know how to read the error messages (my fault, sorry). When reverting to the state before the changes relating to my problems, I have no compilation erorrs.
So I tried copiying from other people's dotfiles but I always got compilation errors. Here I am copying Derrek Taylor's XMonad config, specifically the part relating to the problem. So I copied :
-- Multimedia Keys
, ("<XF86AudioPlay>", spawn (myTerminal ++ "mocp --play"))
, ("<XF86AudioPrev>", spawn (myTerminal ++ "mocp --previous"))
, ("<XF86AudioNext>", spawn (myTerminal ++ "mocp --next"))
, ("<XF86AudioMute>", spawn "amixer set Master toggle")
, ("<XF86AudioLowerVolume>", spawn "amixer set Master 5%- unmute")
, ("<XF86AudioRaiseVolume>", spawn "amixer set Master 5%+ unmute")
, ("<XF86HomePage>", spawn "firefox")
, ("<XF86Search>", safeSpawn "firefox" ["https://www.duckduckgo.com/"])
, ("<XF86Mail>", runOrRaise "thunderbird" (resource =? "thunderbird"))
, ("<XF86Calculator>", runOrRaise "qalculate-gtk" (resource =? "qalculate-gtk"))
, ("<XF86Eject>", spawn "toggleeject")
, ("<Print>", spawn "scrotd 0")
]
From his dotfiles which are at this link.
I am getting the following error upon compilation (Apologies for not pasting the text itself as no keyboard combination I tried worked ) :
As far as imports go, I have the following :
import XMonad
11 import Data.Monoid
12 import System.Exit
13 import XMonad.Util.SpawnOnce
14 import XMonad.Util.Run
15 import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
16 import qualified XMonad.StackSet as W
17 import qualified Data.Map as M
18 import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
19 import XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers
20 import XMonad.Hooks.UrgencyHook
21 import XMonad.Util.WorkspaceCompare
22 import XMonad.Util.EZConfig
23 import Graphics.X11.ExtraTypes
24 import XMonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops
Can you please help me ? The bightness and Media Control keys , and later the battery widget on XMobar (will put on another post if I don't figure it out myself) are the last things I need to do before my laptop is 100% percent ready. I really enjoyed the journey so far and I laerned a lot, so would be happy if you not only help me solve the issue but explain it to a noob like me.
Thanks in advance !