My Rails 6 project uses some gems that install the grpc gem. In my Gemfile.lock, the gem is installed like this:
grpc (1.32.0)
google-protobuf (~> 3.13)
googleapis-common-protos-types (~> 1.0)
One of the people on the team has a Mac. When they run bundle install, it installs the OS X specific version of the gem in addition to the version above, so the Gemfile.lock will look like this:
grpc (1.32.0)
google-protobuf (~> 3.13)
googleapis-common-protos-types (~> 1.0)
grpc (1.32.0-universal-darwin)
google-protobuf (~> 3.13)
googleapis-common-protos-types (~> 1.0)
Other Gemfile information:
PLATFORMS
ruby
RUBY VERSION
ruby 2.5.7p206
BUNDLED WITH
2.2.1
My local and production servers run Linux. When I attempt to run bundle install on my local environment with this in the Gemfile.lock, the bundle install exits with a Killed message, presumably because the gem is incompatible with my OS.
I've tried adding the gem to my Gemfile directly like this:
gem 'grpc', '1.32.0'
But that seems to only work sometimes, weirdly enough. How can I update the Gemfile to not install the OS X version of the gem and use the base version instead?