Spyder3 - AttributeError: 'SpyderKernel' object has no attribute '_show_mpl_backend_errors'

Viewed 2352

I have a problem with Spyder3. When I open it, this warning appears on the console.

Python 3.8.5 (default, Jul 28 2020, 12:59:40)
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

IPython 7.13.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "<ipython-input-1-db6556ffc451>", line 1, in <module>
    get_ipython().kernel._show_mpl_backend_errors()

AttributeError: 'SpyderKernel' object has no attribute '_show_mpl_backend_errors'

Can someone help me? I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 and this warning appeared after I ran the command below on the terminal. I was trying to install the new version of Spyder.

pip install -U spyder

Thanks in advace for the help!

2 Answers

The same happened to me, with the exact same Ubuntu, Python and IPython versions. It seems launching Spyder from the GUI was the problem, I launched it from the terminal and everything worked just fine with the updated Spyder version.

  1. uninstall anaconda and delete all its files
  2. restart
  3. carefully read all instructions while new installation

note: if you are using ubuntu then first make environment then install spyder using pip. (in my case it was solved)

Related