I have a repo that I'm trying to modify to be deployable as a python package.
Unfortunately, the root of the repository has a file named BUILD that cannot be changed due to existing CI integrations. As a result, when I attempt to pip install or python setup.py bdist_wheel or any other permutation of using setuptools it fails because it cannot create a build/ directory.
How can I change that build directory to be _build/ or something non-conflicting?
I've tried several things like python setup.py build -b _build which works for the build step in isolation, but I can't find an equivalent command line argument or setup.py option that will let me change it for all of the subcommands of bdist_wheel. There seem to be a lot of moving pieces that expect to be able to create a build directory at some point or reference it, and I haven't been able to track them all down.