I'm a student learning C and I was puttering around with arrays of strings and malloc().
I have the following code that is supposed to load an array of strings (statically created) with dynamically created strings (please forgive / correct me if my terminology does not align with the code I have).
The problem is, once I go to free that memory, I get the following error: free(): invalid pointer
Here is the code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#define RAM_SIZE 5
char* ram [RAM_SIZE];
int next_free_cell = 0;
void freeAndNullRam(){
for (int i = 0 ; i < RAM_SIZE ; i++){
printf("%d\n", i);
free(ram[i]);
ram[i] = NULL;
}
}
int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
for (int i= 0; i < RAM_SIZE; i++){
ram[i] = (char*)malloc(sizeof(char*)*5);
ram[i] = "aaaa";
}
for (int i= 0; i < RAM_SIZE; i++){
int empty = (ram[i] ==NULL);
if(!empty){
printf("%s\n", ram[i]);
}
}
freeAndNullRam();
for (int i= 0; i < RAM_SIZE; i++){
int empty = (ram[i] ==NULL);
printf("%d\n", empty);
}
return 0;
}
I know the issue is definitely in the freeAndNullRam() function (obviously), but I don't understand why. My understanding is that at compile time, an array of 5 pointers to char arrays is created, but to actually fill the cells of the array, I need to malloc them some memory. Why does the program complain when I free the pointers in the array, but not when I give them memory?
Thanks!