I'm trying to understand your problem , and I think the @Riskbreaker answer is a good idea to patch your issue.
If you need to get this character :

You NEED to set the font-family with :
font-family: 'Noto Serif', serif;
Explain Sans-Serif definition : any typeface in which the letters do not have serifs (= small lines)
So your "problem" is only a default comportement for all browsers.
I've try some tests on my codepen, and as you will see, you can patch your issue with the recommended lines from Google fonts :
font-family: 'Noto Serif', serif;
Isn't a good solution for you , but this trick can explain your problem. Actually , the character "‡" doesn't exist by default for the font "Noto Serif", so, if you apply and second propertie "serif" nothing change because it is the default style. However, if you add "sans-serif" propertie, the browser can interpret this value and set the character with the value "sans-serif".
However , since few time, google add a second link to work with a CDN :
<link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.gstatic.com">
This link doesn't change nothing for you, but I recommand to use it to be updated.
My second advice is to don't install the font locally or disable it, because it will be easier to debug your issues, and an installed local font can create some bugs or conflicts.
You can also check the differences between serif and sans-serif at this link : https://about.easil.com/support/serif-vs-sans-serif/
I hope my answer will help you, and you can check my codepen tests at this link :
https://codepen.io/ZellRDesign/pen/eYBvxPV