I'm a bit of a newbie on mpirun, and I'm running into a small issue. I have n jobs I want to run on only 2 cores of my machine, so I open n terminal windows and use the usual
mpirun -np 2 [program]
in each terminal window, but instead of using up 2*n cores, it uses only a fraction of that, and the applications are very slow, leading me to believe mpirun is stacking multiple jobs on the same cores without touching other cores on the same CPU, making the jobs unbearably slow and overall reducing the workflow efficiency...
I've tried using the option
--bind-to core
in each call, but that doesn't seem to change anything in the behavior of mpirun...
What could be causing this behavior and how can I tackle it so that it wouldn't stack jobs on the same cores until there wouldn't be enough cores to satisfy demand?
Thanks a lot!