Permutation importance larger than 1 for linear regression R^2

Viewed 258

I am using sklearns permutation_importance to estimate the importance of my independent variables. The model I am fitting is a linear Regression. The permutation importance the model returns looks like this: [0.7939618 3.6692722 0.02936469].

The permutation importance is defined to be the difference between the baseline metric and metric from permutating the feature column.

In my case, I think that the baseline metric is the R^2 value if I do not permutate any variables (baseline R^2~0.86). How is it possible that I obtain a value of 3.66 for one of my features in this case? If I manually permutate this feature and recalculate R^2, I get a value of ~ 0.18, so the feature importance would be ~0.68 if I am not mistaken.

If anyone could explain to my why I am observing these high feature importance values, I'd be very grateful!

0 Answers
Related