I'm dealing with pointers, double-pointers and arrays, and I think I'm messing up a bit my mind. I've been reading about it, but my particular user-case is messing me up, and I'd appreciate if someone could clear a bit my mind. This is a small piece of code I've built to show my misunderstanding:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>
void fnFindValue_vo(uint8_t *vF_pu8Msg, uint8_t vF_u8Length, uint8_t **vF_ppu8Match, uint8_t vF_u8Value)
{
for(int i=0; i<vF_u8Length; i++)
{
if(vF_u8Value == vF_pu8Msg[i])
{
*vF_ppu8Match = &vF_pu8Msg[i];
break;
}
}
}
int main()
{
uint8_t u8Array[]={0,0,0,1,2,4,8,16,32,64};
uint8_t *pu8Reference = &u8Array[3];
/*
* Purpose: Find the index of a value in u8Array from a reference
* Reference: First non-zero value
* Condition: using the function with those input arguments
*/
// WAY 1
uint8_t *pu8P2 = &u8Array[0];
uint8_t **ppu8P2 = &pu8P2;
fnFindValue_vo(u8Array,10,ppu8P2,16); // Should be diff=4
uint8_t u8Diff1 = *ppu8P2 - pu8Reference;
printf("Diff1: %u\n", u8Diff1);
// WAY 2
uint8_t* ppu8Pos; // Why this does not need to be initialized and ppu8P2 yes
fnFindValue_vo(u8Array,10,&ppu8Pos,64); // Should be diff=6
uint8_t u8Diff2 = ppu8Pos - pu8Reference;
printf("Diff2: %u\n", u8Diff2);
}
Suppose the function fnFindValue_vo and its arguments cannot be changed. So my purpose is to find the relative index of a value in the array taking as reference the first non-zero value (no need to find it, can be hard-coded).
In the first way, I've done it following my logic and understanding of the pointers. So I have *pu8P2 that contains the address of the first member of u8Array, and **ppu8P2 containing the address of pu8P2. So after calling the funcion, I just need to substract the pointers 'pointing' to u8Array to get the relative index.
Anyway, I tried another method. I just created a pointer, and passed it's address, without initializing the pointer, to the funcion. So later I just need to substract those two pointers and I get also the relative index.
My confusion comes with this second method.
- Why
ppu8Posdoes not have to be initialized, andppu8P2yes? I.e. Why couldn't I declare it asuint8_t **ppu8P2;? (it gives me Segmentation fault). - Which of the two methods is more practical/better practice for coding?
- Why is it possible to give the address to a pointer when the function's argument is a double pointer?