I have 8 items in a SQL table with a Description, ItemNumber, and ImagePath.
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
//fill the datalist for the Signs Table
string tCallFrom = "Program." + System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().Name;
string tQry = @"SELECT * FROM [js_Signs]";
DataTable tblSigns = objCommMethods.fReturnTableFromQry(clsDBSelect.enumDBSelect.ProjectMaster, tQry, tCallFrom);
SignsList.DataSource = tblSigns;
SignsList.DataBind();
}
I am using a DataList to show all of the items along with a textbox that will allow a user to input the number of items they want:
<asp:DataList ID="SignsList" runat="server" RepeatColumns="4" CellPadding="2" Width="90%" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center">
<ItemTemplate>
<table>
<tr>
<th>
<%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Description") %>
</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<th>
<%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ItemNumber") %>
</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<asp:Image ID="SignImage" runat="server" ImageUrl='<%#DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ImagePath") %>' />
</td>
</tr>
<tr style="text-align: center;">
<td>
<asp:TextBox ID="txtSignQuantity" runat="server" CssClass="txtBox" BackColor="White" Enabled="true"
type="number" min="0" ToolTip="Please choose quantity of signs needed."/>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<p> </p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:DataList>
<div class="btnGroup">
<div class="btnDiv">
<asp:Button ID="btnSave" runat="server" Text="Save" CssClass="btnSave" Width="90px" Visible="true" OnClick="btnSave_Click"/>
</div>
<div class="btnDiv">
<asp:Button ID="btnCancel" runat="server" Text="Clear" CssClass="btnCancel" Width="90px" Visible="true" OnClick="btnCancel_Click"/>
</div>
</div>
After the saved button is clicked in C# I want to find out the value that a user entered but it is always returning null:
protected void btnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
TextBox txtSignQuantity;
string tempSignQuantity;
try
{
foreach (DataListItem item in SignsList.Items)
{
txtSignQuantity = item.FindControl("txtSignQuantity") as TextBox;
tempSignQuantity = txtSignQuantity.Text;
}
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Console.WriteLine(ex);
}
}
I also checked and the Count of SignsList.Items was 8, so I know that it is retrieving the correct information. Sorry, I've never used a Data List before so I'm not really sure how to go about this...