The linker can output both the ELF and the MAP file. These files are especially relevant in the embedded systems world because the ELF file is usually used to read out the addresses of variables or functions. Additionally, the ELF file is used by different embedded measurement or analysis tools.
When I open a MAP file, then within it, I can see for each global variable and every external function the following information: allocated address, symbolic name, allocated bytes, memory unit, and memory section.
On the other hand, once I open the ELF file, it is a binary file and not human readable. However, some tools I use are able to read it out and interpret it. Those tools can interpret the ELF file, and obtain the information about the symbolic name of a variable/function and its address or even show a function prototype.
From my understanding the ELF and MAP files are basically containing the same information, it is just that the first one is binary and the latter one is the text file. So what are the actual differences between these two files from the content perspective?
Thank you in advance!