Writing Visual Studio Extension (VSIX) with .NET 5.0

Viewed 1629

I am working on a VS 2019 Extension that is currently using .NET Framework (4.8). I want to upgrade it to .NET 5.0 but the VSIX project does not support it or any .NET Core version. I want to avoid .NET Standard if at all possible. I can find no info on the next Visual Studio version (2021?) and if .NET 5.0 VSIX projects will be supported or not. I would think Microsoft would be working on this but on the other hand VS is still a 32 bit app. :-) Sorry if this is not the right venue but this is my first question here.

1 Answers

Your main extension must be x86 .NET Framework, as it is hosted by the VS process. You could move some your your functions to .NET Standard 2.0, or to a .NET Core 5.0 console app.

Related