I am trying to obtain an ortographic projection of the celestial sphere, with equatorial coordinates, as seen from a certain latitude, as in the following picture:

(Grid obtained from Skychart/Cartes du ciel)
This image is a print of Skychart/Cartes du ciel, showing the equatorial grid for an observer at 23°S latitude. I want to be able to reproduce the exact same image in Python (apart from the dark blue background). My first attempt was to use CartoPy, setting the central latitude as -23, as follows:
import cartopy.crs as ccrs
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
ax = plt.axes(projection=ccrs.Orthographic(central_latitude=-23))
ax.gridlines()
plt.show()
but the resulting picture looks like this:
From the position of the south pole, I believe setting the central latitude to the observer's latitude in CartoPy does not solve my problem. Is there another way, either with CartoPy or another package (maybe AstroPy? - I have never used it) to obtain the same plot as Skychart (Image 1) in python?

