EF6 Entity Data Model Designer not available with target framework .net 5.0

Viewed 1860

I have an existing .NET Framework-based solution that I'm migrating to .net 5.0. I'm not migrating data access just now: we'll keep using EF6 model-first. After converting projects to .net 5.0 I've tried opening the .edmx file only to get a message:

The Entity Data Model Designer is unable to display the file you requested. The Entity Framework is not available in the target framework currently specified for the project. You can change the target framework of the project or edit the model in the XML Editor.

The target framework is net5.0.

Should this work?

1 Answers

No, as per EF docs:

There's currently no support for using the EF designer directly on .NET Core or .NET Standard projects or on an SDK-style .NET Framework project.

Thanks to @ErikEJ for a detailed walkthrough of a workaround.

Related