I'm carrying this on from this question, since the focus has changed.
I am trying to send string data from a vapor server over a websocket. The client side is where the main question is. This code successfully receives the string, which is expected to be JSON (but not absolutely guaranteed -- out of scope).
switch message {
case .data(let data):
print("data: \(data)")
case .string(let str):
// let data = str.message(using: .utf8)
let jsonData = Data(str.utf8)
print("string: \(jsonData)")
do {
struct Person : Codable {
var name: String
}
let decoder = JSONDecoder()
let people = try decoder.decode([Person].self, from: jsonData)
print("result: \(people)")
} catch {
print(error.localizedDescription)
}
}
After some very helpful guidance, sending a string such as "{\"name\": \"Bobberoo\"}" will print out
string: 20 bytes
The data couldn’t be read because it isn’t in the correct format.
If I wrap it in braces "[{\"name\": \"Bobberoo\"}]" produces the more helpful but still mystifing (to me) output:
result: [wb2_socket_client.WebSocketController.(unknown context at $101a35028).(unknown context at $101a350c0).(unknown context at $101a35158).Person(name: "Bobberoo")]
Clearly, the decoding is happening, but it's wrapped in these contexts. What are they? I can see that the first is the instance of the WebSocketController. How do I access this data.
And as a non-inflammatory aside: managing JSON is a trivial operation in any number of contexts. Python/Flask, Node, Ruby/Rails and on and on; I've used all these and implementing this kind of interaction is trivial. In Swift, it's a horrible, underdocumented nightmare. At least, that's my experience. Why? I know the language is type safe, but this is ridiculous.