Accurate traffic information for past dates: Traffic of HERE Route API calls changes for same query over time?

Viewed 61

I have been working with the HERE API Isoline Route API V7. Especially interesting is the feature of getting accurate travel time estimates for different time of days.

I now realized, that querying for past dates does not always yield the same result. So, e.g. a query I did yesterday resulted in a travel time of 1134 seconds. Today, for the same trip, day and start time I get 982 seconds. It's hard to provide a reproducible example here, so I added two screenshots of the query from yesterday and today.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Now I was wondering, does the way traffic computed by HERE include CURRENT traffic information for queries in the past? Since there has been a lockdown since November here in Germany, is the query for August also affected by the reduced traffic AFTER August?

I am actually looking for accurate PRE-Corona traffic information and now realized that queries for January and February 2020 do not seem to properly reflect the Pre-Corona traffic pattern. Also, queries I did a few weeks ago seem to have MORE traffic time included than the same queries executed today.

I did not find any further information on how past traffic is defined, except this:

Traffic speed and incidents are taken into account when calculating the route, where applicable (note that in case of a past departure time the historical traffic is limited to one year)

https://developer.here.com/documentation/routing/dev_guide/topics/resource-get-route.html#resource-get-route

Does anyone know more about this?

And if averaged traffic information AFTER the queried date is used for queries on past dates, is there a way to get accurate PRE-Corona traffic times? (maybe also sth else than HERE)?

0 Answers
Related