How to filter Analytics data in Data Studio with parameters?

Viewed 6116

I'm making a report in Data Studio using my Analytics data, and I'm having some trouble finding out how to filter it. Here is what I need to do: I receive a "user" parameter in the URL, and I need to filter my "username" dimension with it. I want to make some kind of filter in the report, like Include usernameDimension = userParameter.

2 Answers

For some limitation in DataStudio, currently it is not possible to directly use Report URL parameters for filtering reports (when you create a filter, it only allows you to select fields, not parameters). However, it is possible to 'hack' this limitation with a new field that references the parameter.

Create a new boolean field called my_filter (or something you wish) with this expression:

field_i_want_to_filter = my_parameter

Then, just create a new filter in your report using this field, with the condition my_filter is true.

I can create a custom field to extract the username using a regular expressions.

Suppose you have a field called URL that contains something like:

https://example.com/path/path/endpoint?param1=blah&param2=bleh&username=Diego&param3=blih

You can use this formula in a new field to extract the username:

REGEXP_EXTRACT(URL, "[?&]username=([^&]*)")

You can easily add this custom field to a Drop down selector or something to allow filtering in your dashboard.

Related