I have a series of dates and I want to count each record the sequence of dates, while skipping missing values.
Essentially, I want to see the following result, where a are my dates and b is my index of the date record. You can see that row 5 is my 4th record, and visit 7 is my 5th record.
tibble(a = c(12, 24, 32, NA, 55, NA, 73), b = c(1, 2, 3, NA, 4, NA, 5))
a b
<dbl> <dbl>
1 12 1
2 24 2
3 32 3
4 NA NA
5 55 4
6 NA NA
7 73 5
It seems that group_by() %>% mutate(sq = sequence(n())) doesn't work in this case, because I don't know how to filter out the missing values while counting. I need to keep those missing values because my data is pretty large.
Is a separate operation of filtering the data, getting the sequence, and using left_join my best option?