I have just started learning Haskell and I am trying to write some basic functions in order to get a better understanding of this language.
I want to write a function which takes a list and an Int (N) as argument and returns the element at index N in the list, without using the !! operator or any built-in function.
Here is what I tried :
myHead :: [a] -> a
myHead (x:_) = x
myHead [] = error "head: empty list"
myNth :: [a] -> Int -> a
myNth x i = if i < 0
then error "nth: index can't be negative"
else myNthIterator x i 0
myNthIterator :: [a] -> Int -> Int -> a
myNthIterator [] i n = error "nth: bad index"
myNthIterator (_:x) i n = if i == n
then myHead x
else myNthIterator x i ( n + 1 )
It works but it's shifted to the right. For example myNth [1, 2, 3, 4] 2 would give 4 and not 3.
From what I understand, (_:x) removes the first element of the list and I don't see how to iterate through the list element by element.
Could someone put me on the trail? I find it difficult to find resources for beginners in this language.