I have a single byte, 0x1, inside t.data.
How would I read that file to perform bitwise math on it's contents in POSIX shell?
echo $((1 << 1))
gives 2, but
echo $(($((cat t.data)) << 1))
and var d=$(< t.data); echo $(("$d" << 1))
fail.
I have a single byte, 0x1, inside t.data.
How would I read that file to perform bitwise math on it's contents in POSIX shell?
echo $((1 << 1))
gives 2, but
echo $(($((cat t.data)) << 1))
and var d=$(< t.data); echo $(("$d" << 1))
fail.
POSIX sh and Bash are not suitable for processing binary data, but you can use printf to convert back and forth between bytes and integers:
# Read the ascii value of the first byte
num=$(printf "%d" "'$(head -c 1 < t.data)")
echo "The decimal representation of the first byte is $num"
# Do some math on it
num=$(( (num << 1) & 0xFF ))
echo "After shifting by one, it became $num"
# Write back the result via an octal escape
oct=$(printf '%03o' "$num")
printf "\\$oct" > t.data