background
I recently had an issue tracking down an accidentally unmerged documentation file during a merge.
For whatever reason I had messed up a merge and effectively deleted the file (and several other files) because I had forgotten they existed.
Now I'd like to look at my history and see if any other merges went wrong.
reproducing issue
git init
echo "file a" > a
git add a
git commit -m "file a added"
git checkout -b branch_c
echo "file c" > c
git add c
git commit -m "file c added"
git checkout master
git checkout -b branch_b
echo "file b" > b
git add b
git commit -m "file b added"
# For whatever reason we forgot to merge file c and forgot about it
git merge --no-commit branch_c
git reset c
git commit -m "merge branch c, but forgot file c"
git clean -fxd
# Commands such as git-log fail to show that files were excluded from merges
git log --name-status --all
question
How can I list files that never got merged into some branch? Is there a way to use git-log so that it shows the files that didn't get merged?