AWS Amplify with Google Domain DNS

Viewed 558

I am a new Full Stack Dev and I am already stuck with hosting my portfolio on AWS Amplify and using a domain that is through Google Domains. I am aware that using AWS is quite a bit of overkill for a simple portfolio but I would like to get the experience with AWS and I enjoy the challenge.

I've already accessed my DNS tab in my Google Domains page. According to AWS we need to create our two CNAME records. One for the domain and one for the ACM validation certificate. I have also created a synthetic record for the forward because Google Domains does not support ANAME/ALIAS records.

I've confirmed that the data that I've entered into the CNAME records were correct and that I've allowed time for the records to update yet in my Amplify portal it still shows that I need to configure my CNAME records.

Are there any thoughts on whether this could be a hiccup on the Google or the AWS end? Should I just give in and transfer my DNS to Amazon Route 53? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!

2 Answers

AWS' recommended steps work, up until the forwarding part: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amplify/latest/userguide/to-add-a-custom-domain-managed-by-google-domains.html

To correctly setup forwarding, do the following:

You have registered the address: myaddress.com

  1. Go to the 'Website' tab under domains.google.com/registrar/myaddress.com
  2. Click 'Add a forwarding address'
  3. Edit the 'Forward from' section. This defaults to two entries: 'myaddress.com' and 'www.myaddress.com'. Remove the one beginning with 'www', in the other use the prefix '@' like so:

enter image description here

  1. Enter 'www.myaddress.com' into the 'Forward to' field
  2. Click 'Forward'. This will add two records, which should now be visible in the 'DNS' tab.

Following these steps should mean you don't get asked to delete the CNAME record you made in the steps provided by AWS (that points at cloudfront).

I am doing exactly what you are doing - if you were looking at Actions > View DNS Records, in the "Update DNS records" box. You may have missed the alert box with a link to View Docs - where the procedure for google is, are you referring to the configuration that i think is needed for other providers?

Where does it say you need to configure CNAME records? Is your site live?

Related