what does [rsync: failed to set times on "/."] really means?

Viewed 3971
sync: failed to set times on "/." (in XXXXXXXXXXX): Operation not permitted (1)
./

sent 483,746 bytes  received 2,706 bytes  324,301.33 bytes/sec
total size is 161,339,379,726  speedup is 331,665.57
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1207) [sender=3.1.3]
ERROR: The synchronisation failed.
Done ...

I got this weird "/." I don't get what is this path or even what it refers to. Since it's an error 23, I can confirm that other files are well transferred. All have different rights and groups that are indeed compatible.

Also I do not want to use --omit-dir-times.

So how do I fix this ? Where is or what is "/."?

3 Answers

how do I fix this ?

Possible run the command as root or as an owner of current directory.

Where is or what is "/."?

This path seems to be absolute, it's the file system root directory - /.

From wikipedia path (computing):

Two dots ("..") point upwards in the hierarchy, to indicate the parent directory; one dot (".") represents the current directory itself.

The destination dir/folder does not allow modification of the specific folder.

eg. rsync: [generator] failed to set times on "/mnt/tmp/.": Operation not permitted

I was mounting a ISO or UDF file image through the loop filesystem to /mnt/tmp. The required folder permissions were not permissive enough, and should be changed prior to mounting the filesystem to /mnt/tmp.

Although just a warning, still interferes with interpreting the command return value upon exit of the command.

Change the dir/folder permissions prior to mounting or working with the folder, or add yourself to the group with appropriate group permissions.

chmod -R a+rwX /mnt/tmp

I found that I had not reconfigured my repository to use ssh. The error listed is what I got. I then changed my .git/config file to use ssh: and it cleared up.

Related