I have a SELECT-query which gives me the aggregated sum(minutes_per_hour_used) of some stuff. Grouped by id, weekday and observed hour.
SELECT id,
extract(dow from observed_date) AS weekday, ( --observed_date is type date
observed_hour, -- is type timestamp without timezone, every full hour 00:00:00, 01:00:00, ...
sum(minutes_per_hour_used)
FROM base_table
GROUP BY id, weekday, observed_hour
ORDER BY id, weekday, observed_hour;
The result looks nice, but now I would like to store that in a self-maintained view, which only considers/aggregates the last 8 weeks. I thought contiouus aggregates are the right way, but I can't make it work (https://blog.timescale.com/blog/continuous-aggregates-faster-queries-with-automatically-maintained-materialized-views/). It seems I need to somehow use the time_bucket-function, but actually I don't know how. Any ideas/hints?
I am using postgres with timescaledb.
EDIT: This gives me the desired output, but I can't put it in a continouus aggregate
SELECT id,
extract(dow from observed_date) AS weekday,
observed_hour,
sum(minutes_per_hour_used)
FROM base_table
WHERE observed_date >= now() - interval '8 weeks'
GROUP BY id, weekday, observed_hour
ORDER BY id, weekday, observed_hour;
EDIT: Prepend this with
CREATE VIEW my_view
WITH (timescaledb.continuous) AS
gives me [0A000] ERROR: invalid SELECT query for continuous aggregate