How to make Rust cursive's examples work on Windows?

Viewed 414

Rust cursive is a Rust TUI framework. It states that you can switch backends and some of which are Windows supported. However, I can't make it work. When I run the following command (grabbed from here) I got an error:

$ git clone https://github.com/gyscos/cursive
$ cd cursive/examples

$ cargo run -v --no-default-features --features pancurses-backend --example select
error: Package `cursive-examples v0.1.1-alpha.0 (C:\my_projects\cursive\examples)`
does not have the feature `pancurses-backend`

What's the correct way to run these examples on Windows?

2 Answers

As the error says, the examples package does not have a pancurses-backend feature, which if you look in examples/Cargo.toml is correct. The pancurses-backend feature is actually located in the Cargo.toml for cursive.

So to enable it, you have to do --features cursive/pancurses-backend instead.

While the directory is somewhat misleadingly called examples. You can't use --example in this case, as they're not examples in the Cargo sense. Instead you need to use --bin.

cargo run -v --no-default-features --features cursive/pancurses-backend --bin select

Setting

[dependencies.cursive] 
version = "0.16.3"
default-features = false
features = ["crossterm-backend"]

in Cargo.toml also worked for me on Windows

then simply fire

cargo run
Related