Python int too large to convert to C

Viewed 314

I am running a simple piece of code to return me batch number of integers (without replacement) between 0 and 2**63.

from random import sample

batch = 1000
n = 63
rand_nos = sample(range(2**n), batch)

I get the error

Python int too large to convert to C ssize_t

I assume this has got to do with the random.sample function internally converting the length of the range to an int value. But I could not find any parameter that I could set, to ask the function to use a data type with larger range. How can I go about this? Thanks.

1 Answers

OK, you could try to use Linear Congruential Generator, which has some interesting properties - with good choice of constants it will cover whole range [0...2n) once without repetition before it hits its period. Thus, it is basically equivalent to sampling without replacement.

Code for n=64, if you need exactly 63, I could dig out set of constant, just ask.

Python 3.9.1, Win10 x64

import numpy as np

class LCG(object):

    UZERO: np.uint64 = np.uint64(0)
    UONE : np.uint64 = np.uint64(1)

    def __init__(self, seed: np.uint64, a: np.uint64, c: np.uint64) -> None:
        self._seed: np.uint64 = np.uint64(seed)
        self._a   : np.uint64 = np.uint64(a)
        self._c   : np.uint64 = np.uint64(c)

    def next(self) -> np.uint64:
        self._seed = self._a * self._seed + self._c
        return self._seed

    def seed(self) -> np.uint64:
        return self._seed

    def set_seed(self, seed: np.uint64) -> np.uint64:
        self._seed = seed

    def skip(self, ns: np.int64) -> None:
        """
        Signed argument - skip forward as well as backward

        The algorithm here to determine the parameters used to skip ahead is
        described in the paper F. Brown, "Random Number Generation with Arbitrary Stride,"
        Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. (Nov. 1994). This algorithm is able to skip ahead in
        O(log2(N)) operations instead of O(N). It computes parameters
        A and C which can then be used to find x_N = A*x_0 + C mod 2^M.
        """

        nskip: np.uint64 = np.uint64(ns)

        a: np.uint64 = self._a
        c: np.uint64 = self._c

        a_next: np.uint64 = LCG.UONE
        c_next: np.uint64 = LCG.UZERO

        while nskip > LCG.UZERO:
            if (nskip & LCG.UONE) != LCG.UZERO:
                a_next = a_next * a
                c_next = c_next * a + c

            c = (a + LCG.UONE) * c
            a = a * a

            nskip = nskip >> LCG.UONE

        self._seed = a_next * self._seed + c_next


#%%
np.seterr(over='ignore')

seed = np.uint64(1)

rng64 = LCG(seed, np.uint64(6364136223846793005), np.uint64(1))

print(rng64.next())
print(rng64.next())
print(rng64.next())

#%%
rng64.skip(-3) # back by 3
print(rng64.next())
print(rng64.next())
print(rng64.next())

rng64.skip(-3) # back by 3
rng64.skip(2) # forward by 2
print(rng64.next())
Related