GitLab Runner: Failed to register the runner. You may be having network problems

Viewed 3904

I am attempting to create a kubernetes gitlab runner and I encounter the very generic error Failed to register the runner. You may be having network problems. I know gitlab.com is reachable from my hosts, but I need more information to debug the root cause of this issue.

Note the error does continue for 30 attempts each the same as the one below:

Registration attempt 8 of 30                                                                                                                   
Runtime platform                                    arch=amd64 os=linux pid=107 revision=775dd39d version=13.8.0                               
WARNING: Running in user-mode.                                                                                                                 
WARNING: The user-mode requires you to manually start builds processing:                                                                       
WARNING: $ gitlab-runner run                                                                                                                   
WARNING: Use sudo for system-mode:                                                                                                             
WARNING: $ sudo gitlab-runner...                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                               
ERROR: Registering runner... failed                 runner=dh5qxNxL status=couldn't execute POST against https://gitlab.com/api/v4/runners: Post https://gitlab.com/api/v4/runners: EOF
PANIC: Failed to register the runner. You may be having network problems.   
1 Answers

A firewall was blocking Kubernetes traffic from the host to GitLab. The runner was created as soon as traffic from gitlab.com was whitelisted.

Related