Mac on Big Sur Eclipse problem with version.ini (Operation not permitted)

Viewed 951

After upgrading to Big Sur this weekend, my older version of Eclipse (Mars) I use for a specific project cannot be started. I did the suggestion of updating the vm in /Applications/Eclipse.app/Contents/Info.plist - Not able to run Eclipse on macOS Big Sur

Now I am getting this error:

!MESSAGE Could not read version file /Users/lorapowell/Documents/MARs workspace/.metadata/version.ini STACK 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/lorapowell/Documents/MARs workspace/.metadata/version.ini (Operation not permitted)

The file is there and has date (around when I did the upgrade?)

#Sat Jan 16 23:42:07 MST 2021
org.eclipse.core.runtime=2
org.eclipse.platform=4.5.2.v20160212-1500

My newer version of Eclipse is working fine.

2 Answers

You'll need to ensure you're running a more recent version of Eclipse than that.

The problem specifically shown here is because the Documents folder needs to be opted in to allow access from programs. This can be found in System Preferences, in the Security & Privacy preference pane on the Privacy tab.

You might find that Eclipse is showing in there with a Desktop folder without a checkmark. If that's the case, add the checkmark, then re-launch the application.

After moving the zip files for the referenced build path libraries to under my /Users/profilename and re-expanding them, then updating the .classpath for these, cleaning and rebuilding as well as closing and reopening Eclipse a few times, I got things to sort themselves out. Build works. Older eclipse, but it allows me to connect to my cmvc source project.

Related