Using Telegram to send personalized messages to any phone number

Viewed 1389

I am looking at the Telegram API (Standard and BOT) to communicate to parents at a school. I had a look at both APIs. Is it true that one can only send to people in your Telegram associated contact list? With the BOT, will it be possible for users to register to the BOT and then I have their IDs to send messages to? I am working with a phone number as this is part of the database I have. I am a bit confused. Each message will be different so it is not a broadcast to all users but personalized with important information per parent. Perhaps Telegram is not the platform for this?

Thanks!

Jaco

1 Answers

Yes, Telegram platform is suitable for your task.

You can invite users to your bot by having only phone numbers (e.g. sharing link using SMS) and then if the user subscribed - you'll be able to send personalized (aka. transactional) messages.

To identify a user who subscribed to bot you can send a special message to ask phone number.

Or you can use libraries for Telegram API (e.g. pyTelegramBotAPI), which can allow sending direct Telegram messages (not bot) programmatically.

Related