I created new Android project by selecting “Bottom Navigation Activity”. No other change. Only modify “fragment_notifications.xml” by adding background attribute to set background to black.

My question is:
- a) Why the fragment in black doesn't start right next to the blue title area, but leaving 1~2 cm blank on the top? What's the purpose of this area in the template? I don't think I'm so "lucky" to find bug obvious like this.
- b) How to eliminate the blank area. I tried modifying "activity_main.xml" and "fragment_notifications.xml" adjusting width/height and constraint attributes but none of them works.
Thanks for your time in advance.
I'm using Android Studio 4.1.1 and running the code on AVD Nexus 6 API 26, below is the source code of related files. All generated by Android Studio except the background of notification fragment.
activity_main.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
android:id="@+id/container"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
android:paddingTop="?attr/actionBarSize">
<com.google.android.material.bottomnavigation.BottomNavigationView
android:id="@+id/nav_view"
android:layout_width="0dp"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:layout_marginStart="0dp"
android:layout_marginEnd="0dp"
android:background="?android:attr/windowBackground"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintLeft_toLeftOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintRight_toRightOf="parent"
app:menu="@menu/bottom_nav_menu" />
<fragment
android:id="@+id/nav_host_fragment"
android:name="androidx.navigation.fragment.NavHostFragment"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
app:defaultNavHost="true"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toTopOf="@id/nav_view"
app:layout_constraintLeft_toLeftOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintRight_toRightOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent"
app:navGraph="@navigation/mobile_navigation" />
</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>
mobile_navigation.xml as below:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<navigation xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools"
android:id="@+id/mobile_navigation"
app:startDestination="@+id/navigation_home">
<fragment
android:id="@+id/navigation_home"
android:name="com.guo.butnavtest.ui.home.HomeFragment"
android:label="@string/title_home"
tools:layout="@layout/fragment_home" />
<fragment
android:id="@+id/navigation_dashboard"
android:name="com.guo.butnavtest.ui.dashboard.DashboardFragment"
android:label="@string/title_dashboard"
tools:layout="@layout/fragment_dashboard" />
<fragment
android:id="@+id/navigation_notifications"
android:name="com.guo.butnavtest.ui.notifications.NotificationsFragment"
android:label="@string/title_notifications"
tools:layout="@layout/fragment_notifications" />
fragment_notifications.xml as below:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
android:background="@color/black"
tools:context=".ui.notifications.NotificationsFragment">
<TextView
android:id="@+id/text_notifications"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:layout_marginStart="8dp"
android:layout_marginTop="8dp"
android:layout_marginEnd="8dp"
android:textAlignment="center"
android:textSize="20sp"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent" />
</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>
MainActivity.java as below:
public class MainActivity extends AppCompatActivity {
@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_main);
BottomNavigationView navView = findViewById(R.id.nav_view);
// Passing each menu ID as a set of Ids because each
// menu should be considered as top level destinations.
AppBarConfiguration appBarConfiguration = new AppBarConfiguration.Builder(
R.id.navigation_home, R.id.navigation_dashboard, R.id.navigation_notifications)
.build();
NavController navController = Navigation.findNavController(this, R.id.nav_host_fragment);
NavigationUI.setupActionBarWithNavController(this, navController, appBarConfiguration);
NavigationUI.setupWithNavController(navView, navController);
}
}