I'm using the multiplot environment of gnuplot. I'm having trouble to find a way to increase the white space above all the plots to make some room for the legends. I managed to add a white space below the plots by declaring a layout of 4,1 but using actually only the first three subplot. (so the bottom one is blank and I can put the xlabel). If I increase the margin on top then the first plot get squeezed, like in the figure. How Can I add this extra white space above keeping the same height of all the subplots in a simple way. Here I put my simple code
set term pdfcairo size 6,4
set output "currents.pdf"
set xrange [0:1]
set tmargin 0
set bmargin 0
set lmargin 10
set rmargin 2
set multiplot layout 4,1
############################################# PLOT 1
set tmargin 2
set grid xtics ytics lt 1 lc "grey"
set ytics (-50,-40,-30,-20,-10,0,10,20,30)
set format x ''
set ylabel "[mV]" offset -3,0
set key at screen 0.8,0.97
plot "ionic_model_0d.csv" using 1:2 title "u" with lines lt 2 lc "red"
set tmargin 0
################################################# PLOT 2
set key at screen 0.4,0.97
plot "ionic_currents.csv" using "Time":"INaK" with lines
################################################# PLOT 3
set format x "%1.1f"
set yrange [-0.002:0.022]
set xtics (0,0.2,0.4,0.6,0.8,1)
set ytics (0.002,0.006,0.01,0.014,0.018,)
set ylabel "[nA]" offset 0,0
set xlabel "Time [s]"
set grid xtics ytics lt 1 lc "grey"
set key at screen 0.68,0.97
plot "ionic_currents.csv" using "Time":"Ito" with lines lt 2 lc "blue"
unset multiplot



