What does 'Server Issued an error response'(exit status = 8) mean in wget?

Viewed 2094

I am using wget in the back-end of a website to get the HTML of web pages. It works fine most of the times, but with specific websites, it returns this error (exit status = 8). When I use wget in the terminal with these websites, it works without any problems (exit status = 0).

1 Answers

The man page of wget says that :

Code 8 : Server issued an error response.

With the exceptions of 0 and 1, the lower-numbered exit codes take precedence over higher-numbered ones, when multiple types of errors are encountered.

Knowing that, I guess the other layers are working fine (Network, SSL, authent, etc...).

I think it's an application error, like a malfunction of the web server that should give you an answer. Can you restart the applications on the servers returning this code to make sure?

Hoping it can help, let me know !

Related