I'm working on code in C that reads the temperature and sends it to a GUI made with GTK3.
Here is the code:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>
char Vo[10]; // voltage out
float Ro, R1 = 6247; // value of resistance at 20C in the thermistor
float T0 = 298.15; // 25 degrees C in Kelvin
float logR2, R2, T;
float A = 1.281426510e-03, B = 2.368116050e-04, C = 0.9002008458e-07; // Steinhart-Hart and Hart Coefficients
char *senseTemp() {
FILE *fp;
char command[50];
int c;
//get the Analog value
fp = fopen("/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_voltage0_raw", "r");
if (fp == NULL) {
perror("Error: ");
return (1);
}
int i = 0;
while (1) {
c = fgetc(fp);
if (feof(fp)) {
break;
}
printf("%c ", c);
if (c != EOF) {
Vo[i] = c;
++i;
}
}
fclose(fp);
//printf("Analog Reading: %s\n", Vo);
//convert the value to resistance
int V = 0;
float Vout = 0;
V = atoi(Vo); //TO convert an array to an integer
//printf("Value of V: %d\n", V);
Vout = V * (1.8 / 4095.0); //Voltage out of the thermistor
//printf("Voltage out from thermistor: %f\n", Vout);
R2 = R1 * ((1.8 / Vout) - 1);
logR2 = log(R2);
T = (1.0 / (A + B * logR2 + C * logR2 * logR2 * logR2)); // Steinhart and Hart Equation. T = 1 / {A + B[ln(R)] + C[ln(R)]^3}
T = T - 273.15;
char Tfinal[10];
i = 0;
snprintf(Tfinal, 10, "%.0f", T);
printf("Here is the value: %s\n", Tfinal);
return Tfinal;
}
If I use return Vo; the values are properly returned to the GUI and I can see them, but I want to convert the values to degrees celsius and that is what the variable T holds. But the gtk_label_set_text() that displays the temperature in the GUI only takes a pointer to a string.
So in my code if I use return Vo it works but not with return Tfinal.