I've got a notebook (github link) where I'm using geopandas to draw maps with various countries colored. Depending on the order of the plots, sometimes it doesn't respect the figsize() I specify. I'm seeing this behavior repeatably in jupyter running locally in Ubuntu 20.04 and Firefox, and both Binder and Colab running in Chromium.
Can somebody help me understand what's going on? Is this a bug or am I controlling geopandas/matplotlib wrong?
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import geopandas as gpd
world = gpd.read_file(gpd.datasets.get_path('naturalearth_lowres'))
sixc = world[ world['continent'] != 'Antarctica' ]
asia = world[ world['continent'] == 'Asia' ]
noam = world[ world['continent'] == 'North America']
swed = world[ world['iso_a3'] == 'SWE' ]
# This works, makes a 2x1 landscapey aspect
axes = sixc.plot(figsize=(8,4), color='lightgrey')
asia.plot(ax=axes, color='green')
noam.plot(ax=axes, color='purple')
# Plotting swed at the end breaks figsize, makes it squareish
axes = sixc.plot(figsize=(8,4), color='lightgrey')
asia.plot(ax=axes, color='green')
noam.plot(ax=axes, color='purple')
swed.plot(ax=axes, color='yellow')
# Plotting swed in the middle makes it ok again
axes = sixc.plot(figsize=(8,4), color='lightgrey')
asia.plot(ax=axes, color='green')
swed.plot(ax=axes, color='yellow')
noam.plot(ax=axes, color='purple')
(Also, for some (but not all!) of my students, that broken plot also has no lightgray background countries. Is that likely a result/side-effect of whatever is causing the aspect problem?)
