Connection error when using AWS RDS proxy

Viewed 815

I had setup RDS proxy for an Aurora DB cluster and I am getting the following error while connecting. Note that I am able to connect to the original DB cluster without any issue. I checked the security groups, they look fine (Both proxy and DB are same security group and There is rule that allows 3306 from self). I verified the credentials in AWS Secrets Manager, It also looks fine. Did any one face this issue ?

Lost connection to MySQL server at 'handshake: reading initial communication packet', system error: 11

1 Answers

I just had this same error and, after re-reading the User Guide (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/rds-proxy-setup.html), I discovered my issue was related to Security Groups.

I too am using the same security group for the Proxy and DB, but didn't have both self referential rules set:

  1. An outbound rule to itself on port 3306
  2. An inbound rule to itself on port 3306

Ensuring I had both of these resolved my issue and I hope will save anyone who reads this a few minutes in resolving it too.

Related