I'm quite new to rust and come from an OOP background. So, maybe I misunderstood some rust basics.
I want to parse a fixed json-structure with serde. This structure represents one of different messages types. Each message has a numeric type attribute to distinguish it. The exact structure of the individual message types varies mostly, but they can also be the same.
{"type": 1, "sender_id": 4, "name": "sender", ...}
{"type": 2, "sender_id": 5, "measurement": 3.1415, ...}
{"type": 3, "sender_id": 6, "measurement": 13.37, ...}
...
First of all, I defined an enum to distinguish between message types also a struct for each type of message without a field storing the type.
#[derive(Debug, Serialize, Deserialize)]
#[serde(tag = "type")]
enum Message {
T1(Type1),
T2(Type2),
T3(Type3),
// ...
}
#[derive(Debug, Serialize, Deserialize)]
struct Type1 {
sender_id: u32,
name: String,
// ...
}
#[derive(Debug, Serialize, Deserialize)]
struct Type2 {
sender_id: u32,
measurement: f64,
// ...
}
#[derive(Debug, Serialize, Deserialize)]
struct Type3 {
sender_id: u32,
measurement: f64,
// ...
}
// ...
When I try to turn a string to a Message object, I get an error.
let message = r#"{"type":1,"sender_id":123456789,"name":"sender"}"#;
let message: Message = serde_json::from_str(message)?; // error here
// Error: Custom { kind: InvalidData, error: Error("invalid type: integer `1`, expected variant identifier", line: 1, column: 9) }
So, as I understood, serde tries to figure out the type of the current message but it needs a string
for that. I also tried to write my own deserialize()-function. I tried to get the numerical value
of the corresponding type-key and wanted to create the specific object by the type value.
How I have to implement the deserialize() to extract the type of the message and create the specific message object? Is it possible to write this without writing a deserialize()-function for each Type1/2/3/... struct?
impl<'de> Deserialize<'de> for Message {
fn deserialize<D>(deserializer: D) -> Result<Self, D::Error>
where D: Deserializer<'de>,
{
// which functions I have to call?
}
Or is there a better solution to achieve my deserialization?
I prepared a playground for this issue: Playground