Unexpected behavior with the CSS 'ch' unit

Viewed 505

I am using the ch CSS unit for specifying the width of a div containing text. I am using a monospaced font. However, if I set width: 80ch, I get 80 characters for the first n lines (where n is always 24, not sure if this matters!), but then only 79 characters from then onwards. This is shown in the screenshot below:

The point where it goes from 80 characters per line to 79, when width: 80ch.

It seems like this could be some rounding issue. If I set the width: 80.01ch, I always get 80 characters, as shown in the screenshot below:

With width: 80.01ch, there are always 80 chars per line.

Is this a known issue? I guess I've found a workaround by setting it to 80.1ch (or even 80.01ch, that works too), but it's definitely not what I would expect.

Here is a minimal snippet which illustrates the issue. Scroll down to see the 80 chars per line drop to 79 chars.][3]

<div id="rx-data" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; font-family: monospace; overflow-y: scroll;"><div style="width: 80ch;"><span style="white-space: pre-wrap; word-break: break-all;">0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789</span></div></div>

0 Answers
Related