error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.68

Viewed 20510

I got this error after installing nodejs and npm using pacman

node: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.68: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I already tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib/ and that hasn't worked and I also have tried looking for the file everywhere and haven't found it.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
find / -iname libicui18n.so.68

5 Answers

I ran into the same issue, but updating the system resolved it for me. Use:

$ pacman -Syu

libicui18n.so.68 is provided by core/icu package and it is located in /usr/lib

$ pacman -F libicui18n.so
core/icu 65.1-2 [installed: 68.2-1]
usr/lib/libicui18n.so

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.68
/usr/lib/libicui18n.so.68 is owned by icu 68.2-1

Check what version of node-js you are using.

Try installing nodejs. If you get a conflict that another nodejs is installed that is probably your issue.

Example:

nodejs and nodejs-lts-dubnium are in conflict. Remove nodejs-lts-dubnium? [y/N] y

Answer:

Installing these libraries will solve your problem :

sudo pacman -Sy brltty harfbuzz-icu icu

Background :

Couldn't run samba server because of icu and when I try to update package icu it finds conflict for two dependencies. Including them solved icu installation and also solved smb service problem and cleanly restarted samba server ... which was giving an error :

/usr/bin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.71: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

icu dependency error was :

X@Y ~ $ sudo pacman -S icu
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing icu (71.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=70-64' required by brltty
:: installing icu (71.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=70-64' required by harfbuzz-icu
sudo pacman -S nodejs                                                                                                                1 ✘ 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: nodejs and nodejs-lts-erbium are in conflict. Remove nodejs-lts-erbium? [y/N] y

Packages (2) nodejs-lts-erbium-12.22.11-1 [removal]  nodejs-18.7.0-1

Total Download Size:   10.22 MiB
Total Installed Size:  38.16 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      11.81 MiB

re-installing nodejs worked for me

Related