I'm trying to understand how GHC Haskell synchronises the computation of "basic" values (i.e. not IORef, TVar, etc.) between threads. I have searched for information about this but haven't found anything clear.
Take the following example program:
import Control.Concurrent
expensiveFunction x = sum [1..x] -- Just an example
val = expensiveFunction 12345
thread1 = print val
thread2 = print val
main = do
forkOS thread1
forkOS thread2
I understand that the value val will initially be represented by an unevaluated closure. In order to print val, the program must first evaluate it. Once a toplevel binding has been evaluated it should not need to be evaluated again.
Is the representation for "val" even shared by separate threads?
If for some reason thread1 completes evaluation first, can it convey the final computed value to thread2 by swapping out the pointer? How would that be synchronised?
If thread1 is busy evaluating when thread2 wants the value, does thread2 wait for it to finish or do they both race to evaluate it first?