We have a highly complex set of tables, with nested views that eventually feed a series of dashboards on a Tableau server. The base view uses "as" clauses on some data fields to create fields with spaces in the field name (i.e.somefieldname as "Some Field Name"). Later views use the * wildcard to retrieve all values. Tableau is able to handle it.
The problem is now users want to access those final views in Excel.
We set up an ODBC connection on their workstations and when they pull the data from one of the final views. However, the fields that contain blanks in the field names show as errors and are blank in the resulting worksheet. I'm trying to build a view on that final view and use "as" clauses to remove the spaces in the field names, but haven't been able to find the proper SQL syntax for the source field. I've tried brackets but that didn't work.
Would we be better off trying Power BI? Our data management people are just getting started with it; I haven't seen it yet but will be tomorrow.
Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide! Lou